- Graduation Pledge Alliance
- A comprehensive clearinghouse of national jobs and internships in social welfare, nonprofits, the environment, human rights, and politics, as well as volunteer opportunities.
- The Fund for Public Interest Research
- FFPIR is a national, nonprofit, grassroots organizing network working with progressive organizations to solve some of the country's most pressing environmental, consumer, and government accountability problems. Their current campaigns are with the Sierra Club, Human Rights Campaign, the State PIRGs, and numerous other groups. They offer mainly salaried, managerial fundraising positions, and they also have conservation-related summer openings. You can apply on-line.
P.O. Box 120-271
Boston, MA 02112
Email: FundCareers at FFPIR.org
- Children's Defense Fund
- CDF educates the nation about the needs of children and encourages preventive investment before they get sick or into trouble, drop out of school, or suffer family breakdown. The site has a variety of jobs and internships listed. They also have a jobline number: 202-662-3680.
25 E Street NW
Washington, DC 20001
cdfinfo at childrensdefense.org
- The Carter Center
- "The Center, guided by a fundamental commitment to human rights, wages peace by bringing warring parties to the negotiating table, monitoring elections, safeguarding human rights, and building strong democracies through economic development." The Carter center offers internships to graduate and undergraduate students, which they can usually receive acedemic credit for. It is also possible to contact the center via e-mail, phone, fax, or letter for information on current job openings.
The Carter Center
c/o Human Resources
One Copenhill Avenue
Atlanta, Georgia 30307
Email: scallah at emory.edu
- Lists jobs and volunteer oportunities in the United States and abroad, concerning international relief and development. They also have a bi-weekly publication, "Monday developments", that a person can subscribe to for $45 a year. This is a very informative site with publications concerning current events in the world.
1717 Massachusetts Ave., N.W., Suite 701
Washington, DC 20036
ia at interaction.org
- Friends Committee on National Legislation
- The FCNL offers Quaker lobbying in public interest, specializing in demilitarizing the world, the great disparity between rich and poor, and Native American tribal sovereignty. Recent college grads and those with a degree can apply for an 11-month unpaid internship program in which diverse legislative issues are viewed through research, advocacy, and writing. Call number below for information on jobs, as the link does not provide any job listings.
245 Second Street, NE
Washington, DC 20002-5795
phone: (202) 547-6000
fax: (202) 547-6019
fcnl at fcnl.org
- Civil Society International
- The site offers a list of links to nongovernmental organizations with job openings all over the world. A person can also search the Center's large archive of current international jobs, internships and volunteer positions. The Center for Civil Society also posts current conferences, exchange programs, grant opportunities, and partnership requests. This site is very useful for people looking for jobs overseas.
2929 NE Blakeley Street
Seattle, WA 98105 J
ccsi at u.washington.edu
- Peace Brigades International
- Provides unarmed presence of international observers to protect peace and justice around the world. PBI is non-partisisan organization currently foucusing on Columbia, Haiti, Chiapas and other areas around the globe. Recruitment, training, public education and intern/volunteer opportunities are available for a minimum of 3 months. If you have any interest, contact their national chapter.
PBI International Office
5 Caledonian Road
London N1 9DX U.K.
pbiio at gn.apc.org
- Global Youth Connect
- "GYC is an emerging international network working to support and encourage youth activism around human rights." The Executive Director wrote me a letter stating that internships and other paid positions would be opening up as the organization grows.
For more information contact:
Jennifer Kloes, Executive Director
Global Youth Connect
220 East 25th Street, #5B
New York, NY 10010
- Greenpeace: International and Nationwide Opportunities
- (This links to Greenpeace International, but the national sector is also accessible through this site.)
Greenpeace utilizes a non-violent and creative approach against global environmental problems. Greenpeace is a non-political campaigning organization, which seeks to insure the earth's diversity and health. Their site always lists what is and what is not available, including: volunteer and membership opportunities, and inspiring facts and new projects.
- Rainforest Action Network: San Francisco
702 H Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001
- USPIRG & State PIRGs: Nationwide Opportunities
- US and state PIRG's continuously offer paid opportunities with a social conscience. The PIRG's primarily focus on natural resource protection, the struggle for a healthy environment, consumer rights and government accountability. This link is amazingly comprehensive, mostly because the PIRG job opportunities are too. Jobs and internships for students, recent grads and those with advanced degrees are readily available. From campus organizer to Campaign For A Green Future are provided at this site.
- People for the American Way
- PFAW organizes and mobilizes Americans to fight for fairness, justice, civil rights and the freedoms guaranteed by the Constitution. The organization is a premier source of vital information for policymakers, scholars and activists nationwide. PFAW has numerous employment opportunities, mainly in their D.C. office, but also in field offices. Internships and volunteer positions are also available.
People for the American Way
2000 M Street, NW, Suite 400
Washington, DC 20036
Tel: 202-467-4999 or 800-326-7329
pfaw at pfaw.org
- Habitat for Humanity
- Habitat for Humanity International is a nonprofit, nondenominational Christian housing organization. Homeowners and volunteers build the houses under trained supervision, and the houses they build are sold at no profit, with no interest charged on the mortgage. The site has US and international jobs, paid and unpaid. You can sign up to receive their weekly job lists by e-mail.
Partner Service Center
Habitat for Humanity International
121 Habitat St.
Americus, GA 31709
Phone: (229) 924-6935, ext. 2551 or 2552
publicinfo at hfhi.org